Put into reported speech.
01. “Go to bed and don’t get up till you’re asked!” He told
02. She asked,” Eat your dinner at once or I’ll punish you!”
03. The tester,” Write your name clearly at the top and then take down these points as I call them out!”
04. “Don’t put your elbow on the table!” They told
05. “Bring in the two accused men and take care they don’t get away.!” The judge ordered
06. My mother asked,” Don’t spend your money on food and drink. Save some for the future!”
07. The tourist told,” Drive as fast as you can!” “I don’t want to be late.”
08. My father asked,” Wait here under the tree until the rain to stop!”
09. “Do what you’re told or you’ll get in trouble” The manager asked
10. “Imitate my pronunciation if you want to speak well!” she asked
Change these sentences to Indirect statements.
01. The wise man told me,” Where there is a will, there is a way.”
02. He said,” I have posted the letter.”
03. ‘I’m ready,” she informed them.
05. “Hasan borrowed your car,” I told my father.
06. Intan said,” She is walking here now.”
07. “We saw Edi at the post office yesterday.” they said.
08. She told me,” My brother is coming home next week.”
09. “Time is precious.” the teacher told the pupils.
10. I say,” I have brought Tono’s letter.”
11. We told her,” We will call you when he comes.”
12. They say,” We are grateful to him.”
13. “I shall have to postpone the match until next Friday.” the coach told his players.
14. “Far more food can be obtained from the sea.” the scientist is explaining.
15. Hamran said,” My sister will be the best speaker in the debate.
Change the following sentences into Reported Speech!
01. He asked,” Are you coming home with me?”
02. “Do you really come from Irian?” asked the girl.
03. She asked,” Have you come to comfort me in my sorrow?”
04. they wondered,” Does the child know where she has put all the toys?”
05. Mother asked me,” Has the servant fed the birds?”
06. I wanted to know,” Did the boy invite her to the meeting?”
07. “Can you finish the work tomorrow?” asked the teacher.
08. Andy asked her,” Shall I meet you before six?”
09. I asked Andy,” Was the teacher here yesterday?”
10. Mother asked me,” Do you want a different room?”
11. She wanted to know,” Did Mary study the second lesson?”
12. I wonder,” Is she sick?”
13. He asked,” Was the dinner good last night?”
14. I asked her,” Do the new students come from
15. “Are the students busy?” asked the teacher
Change the following sentences into Indirect Speech!
01. She asked the boy,” How much money do you get from selling newspaper?”
02. They asked us,” Why don’t we go out for a meal?”
03. “When did they get married?” she asked me.
04. Ted asks her,” Why don’t you like music?”
05. the teacher asked the children,” What did you see in the zoo?”
06. The boy asked her mother,” When will uncle Jones come?”
07. I asked her,” who did you see this morning?”
08. “How are you getting along with your friends?” Jack asked Jill.
09. “Why are you going to give up your job?” Father asks me.
10. Rose asks him,” What time will you be here tomorrow?”
Choose the right answer by crossing a, b, c, d or e.
01. The manager asked the officer ….
- what he had finished the job
- when had he finished the job
- whether he had finished the job
- why he had finished the job
- that he had finished the job
02. I told her …. to get to the post office.
- to turning the right
- turn to the left
- turned to the left and right
- to turn to the right
- turned to the left
03. “Did my friend leave a message for me?”
“Yes, he said …. tomorrow morning.”
- he would come
- he came
- he is going to come
- he will come
- he has come
04. He asked me ….
- if I repaired my own watch
- that I repaired my watch
- whether I did repair my own watch
- where did I repair my watch
- when did I repair my watch
05. Achmad said to me,” Do you switch off the computer last night?”
The indirect form is: Achmad asked me …. at night.
- that I switch off the computer
- why you didn’t switch off the computer
- whether you close the computer
- that you switched off the computer
- if I switched off the computer
06. My friend said to me,” Can I help you find a taxi?” means:
- My friend asked me if I could help him find a taxi.
- My friend said that I could help him find a taxi.
- My friend asked me whether he could help him find a taxi.
- My friend asked me whether he could help me find a taxi.
- My friend asked me whether I could help him find a taxi.
07. The painter warned him …. the newly painted door.
- not touched d. to touch
- not to touch e. not touching
- don’t touch
08. I saw someone smoking at the petrol station, so I said:
- “You need not smoke here!”
- “You will not smoke here!”
- “You ought not to smoke here!”
- “You should not smoke here!”
- “You must not smoke here!”
09. My parents said,” Don’t waste your money on cigarettes!” means:
- My parents advised me not to waste my money on cigarettes.
- My parents told me that they didn’t waste my money.
- My parents asked me if I had wasted my money on cigarettes.
- My parents allowed me to waste my money on cigarettes.
- My parents said that I didn’t waste my money on cigarettes.
10. “Is David coming to the meeting tomorrow night?”
“Yes, even he asked me ….”
- he went with us
- if he could go with us
- can he go with us
- that he could go with us
- whether he can go with us
11. My father asked me not to drive a car fast. the direct form of this sentence is: My father said ….
- “You don’t drive a car fast.”
- “Please, don’t to drive a car fast!”
- “Don’t drive a car fast!”
- “No driving a car, please!”
- “Not to drive a car fast!.”
12. Tati : “When will you pay the debt, Ron?”
Tati wanted to know ….
- when he pays the debt
- when he paid the debt
- when he would pay the debt
- when he is paying the debt
- when he was paying the debt
13. Their friend asked me if I had come to the meeting the day before. My friend asked me,” …. “
- Do you come to the meeting the day before?
- Did I come to the meeting two days ago?
- Did you come to the meeting the day before?
- Was you come to the meeting yesterday?
- Did you come to the meeting yesterday?
14. “Can you tell me what the time is?”
The indirect speech of this question is:
He asked me ….
- if I could tell him what the time was
- If I can told him what the time was
- If I could tell him what the time is
- If I can tell him what the time is
- If I could tell him what was the time
15. “Rini, close the door, will you?” said Mr. Gunawan.
From this sentence we know that ….
a. Mr. Gunawan wanted to know whether Rini would close the door.
b. Mr. Gunawan did not want Rini to close the door.
c. Mr. Gunawan asked Rini to close the door.
d. Mr. Gunawan wanted to close the door.
e. Mr. Gunawan would not close the door.
Change the following sentences into Indirect Speech!
01. Don’t turn on the lights,” her father told her.
02. The robber told his victims, “Put up your hands up!”
03. “I’ve never seen a giraffe.” Intan says
04. He asked, “Are you coming home with me?”
05. I ask her, “Where are you going to have the party?
06. “I shall have to postpone the match until next Friday,” the coach told his players.
07. The man asked the beggar, “Don’t bother me!”
08. “Where did I leave my glasses?” he asked his wife.
09. They wondered, “Does the child know where she has put all the toys?”
10. “Leave the bags here!” she told the man.
11. Father asked, “When will you begin your next semester?”
12. The policeman says to the lady, “Why didn’t you tell me that you lost your money here?”
13. I wanted to know, “Did the boy invite her to the meeting?”
14. “Switch off the television!” my father asked me.
15. She told me, “My brother is coming home next week.”
16. “How many times have I told you not to disturb me?” my brother asked me.
17. “Have you come to comfort me in my sorrow?” she asked
18. Ermi said, “I saw
19. She wanted to know, “Did Mary study the second lesson?”
20. “My sister will be the best speaker in debate,” Hamran is sure.
Change the following sentences into direct speech!
01. Eric asked me if I had ever gone skydiving.
02. Chris wanted to know if I would be at the meeting.
03. Kate wondered whether I was going to quit my job.
04. Anna asked her friend where his car was.
05. Brian asked me what I had done after class yesterday.
06. Luigi asked me if I knew Italian.
07. Debra wanted to know if I could guess what she had in her pocket.
08. My boss wanted to know why I wasn’t working at my desk and why I was wasting the company’s time.
09. He said that he was looking for a new apartment.
10. I asked him if she wanted to move in with him.
Change the following sentences into Indirect Speech!
01. Sally said, “I don’t like chocolate.”
02. Mr. Rice said, “I’m going to go to
03. He said, “I can’t move until the end of the semester.”
04. He said, “Do you live in the dorm?”
05. He said, “I will cancel my dorm contract at the end of the semester.”
06. Bill said, “Don’t touch that hot pot!”
07. Don said, “I think you should see a doctor about that problem.”
08. He said, “Where is your apartment?
09. I said, “I’m looking forward to having you as a roommate.”
10. “My father is a businessman. My mother is an engineer.” He said.
Find the mistakes and correct them.!
01. She asked me that I wanted to go to the music festival.
02. Tom said to me that he was hungry.
03. Bob asked me where do you live.
04. Ann told that she had enjoyed the party.
05. Kathy asked me open the window.
06. My friend told me that she understood my problem.
07. My mother asked me when am I coming home?
08. Do you know where is the nearest gas station?
09. David invited me for eating dinner with him.
10. I asked Tom that when will your plane arrive?
11. I told Bobby don’t pull the cat’s tail.
12. Ann said, Are you tired?
13. Steve said that I have to go to the drug store.
14. Karen asked what I am thinking about.
16. Tom asked me where he lives.
17. Ed asked me where is Jane.
18. My teacher told me that he should speak English as much as possible.
19. Don asked, Do you like spaghetti?
20. Sue asked me , Have you already eaten dinner?
Change the following sentences into Indirect Speech.
01. She asked him, “ What kind of camera do you have?”
02. The teacher asked Tommy, “Did you finish your assignment?
03. The newspaper said, “Highway 66 will be closed for two months.”
04. Julia told me, “I’ll come to the meeting, but I can’t stay for more than an hour.”
05. Indah asked Budi, “Where should I meet you after class?”
06. Kiki wanted to know, “Where will you be tomorrow around three o’ clock?’
07. The doctor said, “Take a deep breath.”
08. The smith said, “Would you like to come to our house for dinner?
09. My mother said, “Make an appointment with the dentists.”Indra asked her, “What course are you taking?”